CAEEF was created in 2015 to benefit the students, staff and schools of the Crawford AuSable School District through college scholarships for seniors and grants for projects and programs in pre-K-12th grade classrooms.
By May 2018, CAEEF was prepared to begin the grants program. As of spring 2022, the foundation has given $23,200 in grants for programs and projects at the pre-school, elementary, middle and high school levels.
GRANTS CYCLE #6: WINTER 2022 - $10,000 GRANTED
More than half of this year's funding -- $5,942 -- was provided by the Roger & Phyllis Kesseler Fund, $2,011 came from CAEEF general funds, $845 was provided by Gary & Barbara Russell for field trips, $722 was provided by the Mesack Family Trust for Middle School Teachers and $480 came from CAEEF legacy funds.
- $1,560 to GHS teacher Alecia Angerer for chemistry equipment
- $396 to GES teacher Denise Aungst for a Zibiwing field trip
- $1,300 to GES teacher Elly Miller for the Hiking Club
- $1,500 to school nurse Samantha Rogers for the GES Healthy Kids Club
- $1,200 to teacher Sam Spicuzza for technology for the GMS & GHS choir programs
- $1,280 to teacher Sam Spicuzza for the GES music room
- $1,000 to teacher Eric Tunney for snowshoes for the GES, GMS & GHS physical education classes
- $360 to GMS teacher Carrie Wilkinson for forensic science class equipment
- $500 to GMS teacher Brad Williams for the Dream Team program
- $480 to GMS teacher Tinelle Zigila for the English Department's Shakespeare unit
CAEEF Grant Cycle #6
GRANTS CYCLE #5: WINTER 2021 - $4,200 GRANTED
GRANTS CYCLE #5: WINTER 2021
The majority of this year's funding -- $3,450 -- was provided by the Roger & Phyllis Kesseler Fund, and $750 was provided for the first time by the Mesack Family Trust for Middle School Teachers.
- $1,968 to teacher Karen Leslie for K-2 STEM equipment for GES
- $1,200 to teacher Sarah Sly for microscopes for GES science classes
- $750 to teacher Samantha Amstutz for digital cameras for the GMS Art Department
- $141 to Tim Sanchez, principal, for the GMS GVR Program
- $141 to Levi Burkett, assistant principal, for the GHS GVR Program
CAEEF Grant Cycle #5
GRANTS CYCLE #4: WINTER 2020 - $3,400 GRANTED
GRANTS CYCLE #4: WINTER 2020
The fourth grant cycle ran January-March for the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 academic year. 100% of the funding came from the Roger and Phyllis Kesseler Endowed Scholarship/Grant Fund.
- $850 to Samantha Rogers, school nurse, for garden materials for the GES Grayling Bee-Healthy Garden
- $850 to teacher Samara Hartman for ingredients for dishes for the GMS World Cultures and Cuisines classes
- $850 to teachers Sarah Sly & Karen Leslie for a LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 kit for the GES STEM/Robotics Program
- $850 to teachers Tinelle Zigila & Sandy Baynham for the GMS Language Arts' Shakespeare Drama Unit
CAEEF Grant Cycle #4
GRANTS CYCLE #3: SUMMER 2019 - $1,600 GRANTED
The third grant cycle ran June-July for the 2019-2020 academic year. Three grants were awarded:
- $1,100 to teacher Karen Leslie for two Makey Makey invention kits for the GES STEM program
- $400 to teacher Christine Nothstine for one super kit (+) for the GMS robotics class
- $100 to Sarah Allen, GHS assistant principal, for items for the GHS Viking Renaissance Program: prize closet
GRANTS CYCLE #2: WINTER 2019 - $2,000 GRANTED
The second grant cycle ran January-February for the 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 academic year. Three grants were awarded:
- $1,100 to teachers Eric Tunney and LJ Mead for heart rate monitors for the GHS physical education department
- $600 to Gina Brunskill, GES principal, for the Dolly Parton Imagination Library
- $300 to Sarah Allen, GHS assistant principal, and Bret Krabill, GMS teacher, for prizes for the Viking Renaissance Programs at GHS and GMS
CAEEF Grant Cycle #2
GRANTS CYCLE #1: SUMMER 2018 - $2,000 GRANTED
The initial application window ran June-July 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year. Two grants were awarded:
- $1,000 to teacher Mary Tucker for laboratory equipment for the GHS chemistry department
- $1,000 to teacher Samantha Amstutz for three DSLR cameras for GMS and GHS photography classes
CAEEF Grant Cycle #1
The photo at the top of the page was taken by a student in one of Justin Davis' GMS art classes using a digital camera funded by a CAEEF grant in 2021.